Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Snapshots from New York, Part I: Taking Down "Mamma Mia!"



What I love about New York is the spontaneous moment, the unexpected discovery. The best way to happen upon such a thing is simple. I take the subway, wander here and there, and realize that such things aren't necessarily found off the beaten path…


I'm walking along 7th Avenue in the heart of the theater district when all of a sudden I see moving vans, workers carrying furnishings… But this isn't your ordinary move. It's "Mamma Mia!" heading to another Broadway theater after 12 years at the Winter Garden. One of guys managing the move lets me climb directly from the street onto the stage and watch for a few magical moments. I'm overwhelmed by the activity around me, the seats that seem so close, the shaft of sunlight casting a glow in the dimness of the theater… My impromptu guide is telling me that it will take two weeks to dismantle and then a month to prepare for the next show. I drink everything in quickly, knowing that my time on stage is coming to an end, and then continue along my way, looking for a new adventure.   

No comments:

Post a Comment